Configuration via Group Policy
Platforms: Windows only
To configure uberAgent via Group Policy, follow these steps:
- Copy the Group Policy AMDL/ADMX templates included in the uberAgent download package to your
- Create a new GPO that applies to the computers uberAgent is installed on.
- Import the default configuration from the directory
uberAgent components\Group Policy\GPO backupof the download package, choosing either the default configuration or the version optimized for data volume.
- Adjust the imported default configuration as required.
- Local configuration files on the endpoints are ignored, and policy settings are used exclusively. If an additional configuration file is set via Group Policy, the settings of that file overwrite Group Policy settings.
In order to have the uberAgent settings show up in Group Policy Management Editor, you need to add uberAgent’s Group Policy template (ADMX and ADML files) to your
PolicyDefinitions directory. If you are using a Central Store for Group Policy administrative template files, then the location of the
PolicyDefinitions directory is:
If you are not using a Central Store, administrative templates reside on the machines that are used to manage Group Policy in:
In any case, copy all files from this location in uberAgent’s download package to your
uberAgent components\Group Policy\Administrative template (ADMX)
That directory should contain at least:
Once the administrative template files are in the correct location, choose a Group Policy Object (GPO) you want to configure uberAgent’s settings in. uberAgent’s configuration settings are located in Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > uberAgent.
The easiest way to get a working configuration is to import the settings from the GPO backup included in the uberAgent download package.
To import the default configuration, follow these steps:
- In Group Policy Management Console (GPMC), navigate to the node Group Policy Objects (import is not available on a GPO link).
- Right-click the GPO you want to import the settings into.
- Select Import Settings….
- When asked for the Backup location from which settings will be imported select the directory
uberAgent components\Group Policy\GPO backupfrom uberAgent’s download package.
- Complete the Import Settings wizard.
- Open the GPO you imported the settings into in Group Policy Management Editor.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > uberAgent > Receivers > Receiver 01.
- Adjust the setting Servers (required) according to your requirements.
As an alternative to importing the default configuration (as described above), you can configure uberAgent’s settings from scratch. Here are some recommendations:
- Enable on-demand metrics: On-demand metrics > On-demand metrics.
- Configure and enable a receiver: Receivers > Receiver 01.
- Configure and enable at least one timer: Timers > Timer 01.
- Do not forget to enable the setting Configuration through Group Policy.
Verify in the registry that the machines running uberAgent have received the correct Group Policy settings. uberAgent’s settings are stored in
Verify that uberAgent is processing the settings correctly:
- Restart the uberAgent service.
- Open the log file.
- Right after the service starts uberAgent logs in detail how it processes its configuration and what source (Group Policy, config file) is being used.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *